This is an upgrade on the previous version. Backwards compatibility is not guaranteed.
Conditions I like to work in
- I find it hard to work in hot rooms, and love fresh air (windows open etc).
- I don’t care about a fixed desk. I just need a fast laptop, my headphones and an internet connection. If it is a standing desk, all the better.
- I like to have large screen real estate. The more monitors I have, the more productive I feel.
The times/hours I like to work
- I live in Derbyshire and commute to Kettering on the train. I do some of my most productive work whilst travelling, albeit with sadly limited screen real estate (see above)
- If I need to do work that requires detailed concentration, I do that best in the mornings
- I normally get on the train at 06:13 and will normally be working from 06:30 through to 18:40/19:30 on the days I commute (time difference is depends on which train I catch)
- I find my commute is more sustainable if I can work from home one day a week
- I don’t mind being contacted at any time
The best ways to communicate with me
- I’m happy to use a mix of communication methods (face-to-face, phone, email, Slack, Skype, WhatsApp) [although we don’t have all of those at KGH…. yet!]
- I keep on top of my emails each week and usually respond within a few days at the latest.
- I try and keep my door open as much as I can. I like people popping their head round the door for a chat, on the understanding that I may defer them until a bit later.
The ways I like to receive feedback
- I like receiving feedback face-to-face
- I see all feedback as a learning opportunity so I like any feedback to include examples and also suggestions on how I / it could be better/different
Things I need
- Opportunities to collaborate and co-create stuff.
- Smart people to bounce ideas off who are happy to disagree with me in a constructive way.
- To working with people who do stuff (not just talk about doing stuff).
- Good collaboration tools.
- Being able to deliver, little, often and iterate.
- The ability to work from home one day a week.
- Did I mention lots of screen real estate?
Things I struggle with
- Meetings where everyone doesn’t get their voice heard — some of us need to reflect a bit before giving our views.
- An environment where people talk behind each others backs.
- Collaborating on a document via email attachments. Does. My. Head. In.
- Social events where the focus is solely on alcohol consumption.
- People who treat me differently due to hierarchy.
Things I love
- Blogging and sharing my thoughts on Twitter.
- Sharing learning (either imparting or receiving). Books are my main source of substantive learning.
- Signs of continuous improvement.
- Being around creative, innovative people and trying to create the environment where they can try things out.
Other things to know about me
- I aim to stay true to my 14 year old-self who discovered electronics and fell in love with the possibilities that technology can offer.
- I love coffee, but try and stay off caffeine.
- I aspire to operate something along these lines.